Emergency Services Scrambled After Gas Leak Concerns
False alarm on Carlops Crescent
Emergency crews from Edinburgh’s city centre descended on Penicuik on Sunday after a resident suspected a gas leak.
Police, ambulance and fire vehicles swept into Penicuik’s Carlops Crescent on Sunday 31 August after a resident called 999 fearing that a gas leak had caused them to feel unwell.
Fire Scotland dispatched crews from Penicuik, Liberton and Crewe Toll at 7:21pm in response to a call from a concerned local. The resident felt unwell and feared that a carbon monoxide alarm could be showing signs of a gas leak being present. Due to the nature of the concern, officers from Police Scotland and an ambulance were also dispatched to the scene.
Upon further investigation, the incident was declared a false alarm. Attending service members found no trace of the poisonous Carbon Monoxide gas. It is believed that the alarm either malfunctioned or was running low on battery.
Concerned neighbouring residents took to social networking sites to question the large number of emergency service vehicles entering the town. Amongst the appliances sent by Fire Scotland was an “incident support unit” which carries a large number of pieces of specialised equipment.
Where you affected by the incident? Let us know by contacting Hello@PenicuikCuckoo.co.uk.